Friday, January 1, 2010

A Bible a Day...

Years ago, when I was still a faithful son of god, I read the Bible. It was during my junior and senior years in high school and I worked my way through it while isolating myself socially and spiritually from my other kids. I'd walk the half mile or so to the bus stop reading as I went. I'd sit behind the bus driver, Mrs. Moser, and read during the 45 minute drive to school. Then I'd continue on the way home again.

What a dork.

Now, I could say that I was devout and really wanted to know the word of god, but I need to be honest (now) and say that I also wanted others to think that I was holy. I made a big show of being holy and spiritual and devout. I'd look into the distance dreamily, pray at lunch, speak rarely and only with great gravity. I wanted everyone to know how holy I was.

On those rare occasions when I'd actually consider the passage that I was reading, rather than just let it slip by like water down a hill, anything that caused the least bit of trouble for me I let go and trusted god that he'd handle the details. My faith was such that god could do no wrong and that the Bible was without error. At first anyway.

So here I am, thirty-some years later reading the Bible again. A great deal has gone by under the bridge, so to speak. I've been a happily devoted atheist for most of that time and only now and again picked up the good book for a quick read when I found myself at a wedding and bored in a pew. I enjoyed looking for the juicy parts, like how the daughters of Lot got their father drunk and had sex with him, both conceiving children from the coupling. Also where the Bible says to kill your son if he talks back to you. Love that stuff.

Anyway, I mentioned to my mom that I was going to read the Bible again and asked her which of the twenty some versions I should get. Well, praise the lord, she gave me a Bible on the spot. No doubt she thought that it might get me to believe again, but I was just happy to have one. Not only did she give me a Bible, she gave me the "One Year Chronological Bible." What luck! So this is what I'll be reading and musing about over the next year. How fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment